Ads 468x60px

Thursday, September 20, 2012

MediaWiki as a tool for High School



This school year, I've been using MediaWiki to track my work, and it's been going very nicely. Anybody on my local network can see what I've been up to in school, and there are no papers to lose.

Last year, my mom had me use a special paper that I would use to record my work. However, I didn't really like it, there wasn't enough room to write everything I wanted on it, and because each paper looked the same as the next, they were easy to lose and hard to find. So, this year I decided I was going to find a solution.

MediaWiki has not failed me yet. It's great for saving any kind of information in a way that it is accessible from any computer on your local network, or if you want, just accessible from your computer.

I use the category "9th Grade" to set my school-related pages aside from the other pages on my wiki (the one I'm using now has been set up for a long time, and I've done a lot on it). I still need to make a schoolwork index page, where you can find links to all the important pages related to school.



Since about half of my schoolwork requires some level of computer use, it's nice to have everything in one spot. I'm working on making a special page for myself (not on the wiki, but still on the same server)  that will give me convenient links to all computer-based work.

Throughout the year, I don't doubt that my Wiki will change a whole lot. Right now, it looks almost nothing like my first concept for a LAMP-based schoolwork tracker, and I'm always making slight modifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Thank you for

Thank you for

Scrolling all the way

Scrolling all the way

To the bottom

To the bottom